Friday, March 28, 2008

Tankadin Talent Build Part I - Threat

The nice thing about the paladin protection tree is that there are a lot of can't miss talents. The bad thing about the paladin protection tree is that there are a lot of can't miss talents, which means we don't get a lot of beneift from the other talent trees. The talent build I use when tanking, and the one I'm going to talk about for the next couple of days, is a 0/46/15 build. While I think there are quite a few variations that one can make to it, I believe it includes the best tanking talents, while minimizing some of the less useful ones.

Before I go into the build itself, I want to say a little something about paladin tanking mechanics. The role of any tank is to keep mobs from attacking other players. The tank does this by causing enough aggro or threat so that the mobs attack him. Paladins predominately cause threat by spending mana to deal holy damage to the mob. This is primarily done with direct damage spells such as avenger's shield, judgments, weapon procs from seals, and AOE damage from consecrate. There is a secondary component to a paladin's threat generation that is equally as important: being hit by mobs and taking damage. Ignoring talents for the moment, a tanking paladin using retribution aura will deal holy damage and generate threat every time he is struck in battle. Coupled with that is the passive ability, spiritual attunement, which replenishes the paladin's mana every time he is healed. So in many ways, it's just as important, if not more so, for a paladin to be hit than to hit.

The talents in the build I have linked below were chosen to maximize holy damage, both active and passive, and to increase the ammount of damage a paladin can avoid and absorb. As I said, there are many variations possible. However, I think this is probably the best build for tanks pre-tier 6 content.

This is myTankadin Build.

Tomorrow I will discuss avoidance, and why I picked some talents, and why I left others out.

0 comments:

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Jerk Sandwich